Saturday, June 27, 2009
Your Signature Color
Do you have a signature color? Do you think you need one? Finding a signature color is all about finding out more about yourself and expressing your personal style. I love all colors but my signature colors is red. I have red boots that I wear with just about everything when it's cool outside, and red patent sandals that give a surprise pop when worn with a black and white dress, my white jeans and a teal top or just my dark denim and black. I usually wear my red belt and add a touch of red somewhere in my accessories. In the language of fashion feng shui my element is fire, and red is the color of fire. Also, my dosha is pitta, or also fire. So red has always been my color but only in the past few years has it become my signature color. When I wear it I feel unstoppable!
Finding a signature color that you wear every day is an easy way to add color to your wardrobe and spice up your more neutral pieces, without becoming overwhelmed with color.
Your signature color could be:
A color that relates to your personal coloring:
• your eye color, or your hair color, for example
• Try wearing colors opposite of your coloring (on the color wheel) to find those shades that make your hair, skin or eyes really pop
One of your favorite colors in a shade that is flattering to you:
• A vivid red or bold yellow if you have dark, clear coloring
• A mustard or chartreuse if you have an olive skintone
• A periwinkle if you have fair skin, hair and eyes
A color that relates to your style personality:
• Are you outgoing and dynamic? Go for a bold shade like red or violet.
• Are you reserved? A subtle sage green or soft blue would set you apart without drawing attention to you.
• Are you romantic? Try shades of pink, mauve and lavender.
• For a classic look, it’s hard to beat navy blue.
Once you have one, add it in where you can. It can become almost like a neutral, one that you wear with everything. Wear it in jewelry, in shoes, in tops and coats. It can be empowering, helping to connect you more to yourself. When you wear your signature color it can also be very comforting and help to ground you. It can be a sense of security, when you feel nothing looks good on you, you can always rest assured that your signature color won't let you down. Before you select one it may be helpful to consult a stylist to ensure you're selecting a shade that is great for you. Once you have one, make it yours in your own unique way and show your true colors to the world!