Thursday, August 13, 2009
Look Fabulous in Your Jeans
With fall right around the corner our relaxed summer clothing is about to be gently nudged aside. In come comfy-but-chic knit tops, snuggly sweaters and, of course, jeans. You may have had a chance to slip into your favortite pair of jeans over the summer and have a pretty good idea how well they'll fit. If not, you may want to go ahead and try them on now so you won't be shell-shocked.
To prepare for said jeans, now's a great time to take a look at stylist Kami Gray's latest book, The Denim Diet. And before you get any big ideas, I'll tell you right now - it's NOT a book advising you to drink tons of diet soda, eat only a cracker for lunch and a breathmint for dinner for an entire month. Kami (a mom herself) offers an approach that seems less like a diet and more like a way of eating for life. With an eye towards reality, Kami offers up some real world suggestions for eating well and eating real food, as opposed to anything "diet" or artificially sweetened, imposters that do little to nothing to satisfy our cravings.
The foundation behind the The Denim Diet is two-fold: eat whole, organic foods, and eat them in moderation. Enough said, right? But Kami goes into great detail to explain why we should shun all the white stuff (sugar, flour, salt, etc) that puts us on a roller coaster in favor of foods that nourish us and fill us with lasting energy (something we all could use more of!). She gives thoughtful suggestions for afternoon snacks and goes so far as to recommend that we indulge in chocolate regularly - YES! Kami also offers delicious recipes to keep us sated while slimming us down. With a focus on eating locally, as well as organically, her approach is not only good for our waistlines, it's good for the planet!
But enough about diets. What about jeans? If you're in need of a new pair of jeans and want to look fabulous, Kami offers up her suggestions for the five best “Have you lost weight?” jeans.
1. Hudson Dakota Wash Jeans fit most body types and can be especially helpful if your backside could use some enhancing. ($187)
2. True Religion Becky Jeans are bootcut with a bit of stretch. The quintessential “LA” trendy, yet flattering, designer denim. ($172)
3. The 4-way stretch of the DL 1961 Milano(1185) is nothing short of a miracle. These are my go-to pair.($158)
4. Levi Eco Skinny Boot Jeans are Flattering, eco-friendly, and you can’t beat the price at $69.50.
5. Perfect Boot Jeans fit most body types and make for a good everyday pair of jeans without looking like mom jeans.(Sale $49).
But remember, no matter what the price or the label, buying the best fitting pair of jeans (or getting the perfect fit via alterations) is going to make you look fabulous!