1. My kids and I all love this rich pudding from ZenSoy. Made from soy and naturally sweetened, this low-fat pudding will fill you up, not out, and is a great way to get your chocolate fix. Our favorite flavor is Chocolate/Vanilla Swirl. Find it at your local Whole Foods.
2. When what you really want is a cookie, try a whole-grain LUNA Cookie in chocolate mint, berry pomagranate or peanut butter chocolate. They're full of fiber and omega-3's, as well as calcium and folic acid. Toss them in your handbag or keep a few in your car to help kick hunger pangs (and cravings) to the curb. Find them at Target or Whole Foods.
3. I love cheese but the fat content can be daunting. That's why I love these cute cheese wedges from Laughing Cow. With just 4 grams of fat per wedge, each one is individually packaged and can go a long way with a few whole-grain crackers. You can also choose from a selection of flavors to keep your palate happy! Find it at most grocery stores.
4. Staying hydrated is extremely important and can also prevent false hunger pangs. Treat your water to a vitamin-C packed energy boost from Emergen-C and forget your afternoon caffeine pick-me-up. Available in a variety of flavors, it tastes good while boosting your immune system at the same time. Find it at Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and other health and drug stores.
5. When we're on the go and have little-to-no time to think about snacks, it's nice to know we can just scoot through a drive-through somewhere without feeling a ton of guilt. McDonald's Fruit n' Yogurt Parfait packs only 160 calories and 2 grams of fat while packing in plenty of calcium and a serving of fruit. Plus, moms and kids alike will enjoy this one and it seems like a much higher-calorie treat. Even better when it's on the $1 menu.
So don't skip snacks, just snack smarter. Because a hungry mama is a grumpy mama (trust me on this one) and when we eat a healthy snack every few hours it can help us eat less at meals and even help us lose weight.